☰ Menu
× Close

After Electrical Fire in England, Business Owner says: “We’ve Lost Everything.”

Share Via

Cotgrave, Nottinghamshire, England – An electrical fire in an industrial building in the East Midlands of England has devastated at least three area businesses. Investigators have found the blaze which tore through an industrial estate last week was caused by an electrical fire.

The fire severely damaged the large two-story building which housed six separate units. There were no reports of any injuries. Businesses on the estate included a dry cleaner, steeplejack, and a plastics firm.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service station manager Tom Clark stated: “We can now conclude that the fire was an electrical fire caused by one of the manufacturing processes in the building.” “There were also a couple of gas cylinders involved and there was a kerosene tank of 400 litres which needed protecting in the next building,” a fire spokesman said. Although no one could predict this fire from happening, it could have been prevented if the appropriate electric checks were carried out. Businesses should regularly have all of their electrical appliances and outlets checked and can opt to Learn more about their electrics from their electrician. That way, they can spot any faults and call out an electrician immediately to resolve the issue.

Many Cotgrave residents were out on the streets following the explosion, which sent a black smoke ring into the sky as smoke billowed from the buildings. Fire crews spent several hours tackling the inferno, which destroyed six units at the site.

Ray Hallam, owner of TVR Steeplejacks, saw his livelihood ruined as he surveyed the devastating scene – and said he had lost “literally everything.” The office where the renovations and repairs company was based has been completely gutted by the fire, destroying equipment, files and computers. The 65-year-old, who has run the family business for 15 years, said: “I’ve had to lay people off this morning because of this. I’ve had to contact customers because we’ve lost all our equipment, which was between £50,000 and £100,000-worth. It’s very upsetting.”

Other businesses affected by the blaze include Impressive Ironing and Cleaning Services and taxi firm DJM. Kirsty MacDonald, who set up Impressive four years ago and moved into the industrial site a year ago, said she was heartbroken. The 32-year-old, of Cotgrave, said: “That’s my livelihood gone, people’s jobs gone. We’ve lost everything. I was just in shock. After four years of effort to get it to where it was, for it to come to this was devastating…Everything’s just been blown apart.”

Read more from original source.

Request a Quote

We are here to help you.

Get Started