UNC Employee Suffers Arc Flash Burns in Campus Electrical Accident
Chapel Hill, NC – OSHA is investigating the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill due to an arc flash incident this month that resulted in a power outage at the campus’ Dey Hall and Wilson Library. The outage was caused when an arc flash struck a UNC employee while he was working in the transformer vault of Dey Hall. The employee was hospitalized for arc flash burns.
According to an OSHA statement, the employee was seen “running out of the building on fire.” Someone helped put the fire out, according to the release, and EMS was called. The employee was taken to UNC hospital. Davis Library, Student Stores, the Student Union, the House Undergraduate Library and Wilson Library were all closed due to the outage, and have since reopened.
Read more from original source.