The month of June is National Safety Month, an event focused on bringing awareness to safety concerns in the workplace. Martin Technical, a member of the National Safety Council, wants to recognize National Safety Month and its significance. With such a high fatality rate in 2020 in the United States, with 4,764 fatal work injuries recorded (a 10.7% decrease from 5,333 in 2019), it is important to draw attention to this national topic. While this number is decreasing, National Safety Month is an event tailored around the continuation of the fatal work injury rate.
Top OSHA Safety Concerns
The list of top 10 most frequently cited standards following inspections of worksites by federal OSHA for all industries is released publicly every year to attract attention to safety concerns in the workplace that are often overlooked. With better knowledge and understanding of safety hazards that are often missed, companies can better prepare their workplace.
- Fall Protection, construction (29 CFR 1926.501) [related safety resources]
- Respiratory Protection, general industry (29 CFR 1910.134) [related safety resources]
- Ladders, construction (29 CFR 1926.1053) [related safety resources]
- Hazard Communication, general industry (29 CFR 1910.1200) [related safety resources]
- Scaffolding, construction (29 CFR 1926.451) [related safety resources]
- Fall Protection Training, construction (29 CFR 1926.503) [related safety resources]
- Control of Hazardous Energy (lockout/tagout), general industry (29 CFR 1910.147) [related safety resources]
- Eye and Face Protection, construction (29 CFR 1926.102) [related safety resources]
- Powered Industrial Trucks, general industry (29 CFR 1910.178) [related safety resources]
- Machinery and Machine Guarding, general industry (29 CFR 1910.212) [related safety resources]
Additional to their top safety citations OSHA has also released information on their “Fatal Four” leading causes of fatalities in the workplace.
- Falls- 36% of workplace fatalities
- Struck by Objects- 10% of workplace fatalities
- Electrocutions- 9% of workplace fatalities
- Caught in Between- 2% of workplace fatalities
How can you address Safety Concerns?
With proper safety training in place the risk of workplace fatalities decreases. All industries should focus on building and maintaining robust training programs for fall protection, lockout tagout, machine guarding, and arc flash, which help to provide education on the fatal four in the workplace. Martin Technical, a leading safety solutions company providing services and implementation solutions, has in-house subject matter experts whose mission is to help companies build their own customized and efficient training programs. Working with industry experts can boost your safety program, build or strengthen safety cultures, and combat the fatal four workplace concerns.
The Importance of National Safety Month
National Safety Month is a national movement with the goal of bringing awareness to safety in the workplace, ensuring every individual makes it home safe after each day, to enjoy the best part of their day. Join the cause and continue to help spread awareness today.